RFI

[RFI] A description of my RFI problem - help solicited

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] A description of my RFI problem - help solicited
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 03:56:30 -0400
>At 02:02 PM 4/30/01 -0400, John Pelham wrote:
>>One of the noises affects primarily 6M, but is audible on 10 and 15.  The
>>other affects primarily 10M and 15M.  The noises come and go independently,
>>but are most often present on dry days.

...>>I would think that the above paragraph would indicate that the source is
>>outside, and I would think probably it's power line noise, but my reading
>>indicates that power line noise gets stronger at lower frequencies.  These
>>noises are not audible below 20M.

Actually from my experience this is probably good news.  I've been told by
K3RFI (who does RFI investigations for a local power company, and has been
a great help), and confirmed through reading, that a noise source that is
not audible on lower frequencies is probably quite close, while ones that
are audible on 80m can be as much as a couple of miles away.  So yours may
be very close by.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database