RFI

[RFI] Video

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Video
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Aug 9 10:13:14 2003
At 09:10 AM 8/9/03 -0400, Hare,Ed, W1RFI wrote:
>content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>
>Glad to hear it. You are one of the 60%.
>
>Five years ago, had anyone said that anyone could make a 60% dent in the
>power line noise problem, it would have seemed an impossible dream.  Like
>a chess game, this is playing out one move at a time.
>
>When I was a young man, I tilted at every windmill. I am older now and I
>know better. But I have picked one them, and will no longer tilt. I intend
>to knock that sucker down!

Count me as one of the beneficiaries of Tom's fight (probably).  We share
the same power company (Allegheny Power), and their local engineering staff
has been quite helpful in resolving power-line noise problems here, mostly
resulting from improperly-implemented slack spans.  Unfortunately, they
have no equipment or expertise locally, so I have had to localize all of
the problems myself, but once I do, they have been prompt and forthcoming
in fixing them.

It may also help that the regional engineering supervisor is an inactive
ham.  He came out one day to watch the guys work on a couple of poles, said
he was just checking a managerial box by spending a day in the field, but I
had the feeling he was behind the effort.  As with all such things, too,
personal rapport with the technical people involved sure doesn't hurt.

As for BPL, we're all with you... maybe Michael Powell is sufficiently
bloodied by the Congressional reaction to his media ownership position that
he'll think twice, particularly if ARRL mounts an effective Congressional
information campaign to go with its direct approaches to the FCC.  Let's
not wait until we have a Report and Order adopted by the Commission before
we let them know just how bad this is and how much heat they can expect if
they persist.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4.
123 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm