RFI

[RFI] More Thoughts on BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] More Thoughts on BPL
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:53:25 -0400
As you all do, I too, find all of the discussion regarding BPL most fascinating and wide ranging.

What I read here on the RFI list seems to miss the point that, as I read what the White House has put out on the subject, BPL is only one tool in a much larger toolbox that administration is using to achieve its stated goal of universal access to broadband technologies by 2007.

To state it more simply:
The administration's vision is to create jobs and foster economic growth. Broadband technology is to be the engine, as it can reach all sectors of the American society. It's not about any one technology, it's about the economy. It's political, not technical.

Read the material I've listed below: health care (telemedicine) and education (distance education) are prominantly mentioned, with the underlying notion that national defense and homeland security must be assured first.

I can't explain why BPL has achieved such prominence other than that it appers to go along with the open market philosophy currently in vogue that says that the suppliers of broadband technology shouldn't be limited to the traditional telecommunications carriers.

The policy document from the White House: "A New Generation of American Innovation" is worth a read:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/technology/economic_policy200404/toc.html

as are the following Presidential speeches:
April 26, 2004 - http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040426-6.html
March 26, 2004 - http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/03/20040326-9.html
June 13, 2002 http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/06/20020613-11.html

While I cannot answer the question as to whether Sen. Kerry has taken a position on BPL, I can't imagine he'd oppose (or even talk about) the administration's high-level position as I've stated it above. It's as American as Mom and Apple Pie, and crosses all political lines.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC