RFI

Re: [RFI] GFI/RF interference

To: "RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] GFI/RF interference
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:32:41 -0600
I used to have trouble with the badge reader
going into the underground garage at work (at
a cellular carrier no less!) while 'carrying a
call' on a hand-held cell phone, and just a few
years back when an incoming call was coming in
if I was near the PC the speakers the call would
be "pre-announced" via a low rep-rate (repetition
rate) pulsed 'thud' sound (IS-54/IS-136 TDMA
format) coming from the PC's speakers.

Also be advised that most all phones today do
the following (primarily for call delivery purposes):

a) power up registration (when phone is powered up)
b) power down registration (when phone is powered down)
c) periodic registrations (used to be every 5 minutes
    here in the DFW MSA market)
d) new cell registration (while moving or mobile through
    a cellular system)

(A 'registration' is a short message sent to the serving
MTSO letting it 'know' where/what serving cell site a
particular subscriber's phone is currently 'listening' to
for paging messages/calls, etc.)

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /