RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:47:03 -0600
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:29:10 -0800, Clay Curtiss  W7CE wrote:

>For the latter, I'm not sure which cores would be best.
>I need to filter 30A at 240V.

A good commercial line filter at the generator is probably be a good
idea. Not all are created equal, so study the specs carefully. You
want to ground the filter to the generator with very short leads.

As to cores -- they are likely to saturate under load if you put
them on individual conductors, so plan on putting them on the paired
cable so that the total field is small (that is, the hot is
cancelled by the return). Used this way, the cores will attenuate
common mode radiation from the line.

There is an applications note on my website that you may find
helpful.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

Note that the data in this applications note applies specifically to
small signal applications where saturation and heating of the core
do not occur. Both will reduce the effectiveness of the ferrite.

Jim Brown  K9YC