RFI

[RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:29:10 -0800
Does anyone have any experience with Honda generators and RFI?  I just
purchased a Honda EM6000GP propane powered 6KW generator for use at a cabin
that is off the power grid.  Unfortunately, the generator is creating a lot
of RFI.  At some frequencies the noise is as high as S9+10 and at other
frequencies it is virtually non-existant.  I don't think it is ignition
noise but I won't know for sure until I do some more testing.  For the test,
I'll run the receiver from a 12V battery and disconnect the AC power
connection at the generator.  If the noise disappears when I disconnect the
AC then I think I can safely assume that the noise is on the 120/240 line
itself.

The cabin is wired for 240V with a standard breaker panel.  I'm supplying
240V from the generator to the panel.  I suspect that line filters mounted
at the generator will probably do the trick, but I'm not sure.  Any
recommendations?  I've looked at the Corcom line filters or I could build
one from toroids.  For the latter, I'm not sure which cores would be best.
I need to filter 30A at 240V.

On a similar topic, I plan on adding batteries and an inverter so that the
generator doesn't need to run all the time.  I've looked at the Trace SW4024
and SW5548.  I like these units because they can automatically fire up the
generator when needed.  However, they generate stepped sine wave output and
I'm concerned that I'll have the same kind of RFI that the generator is
producing.  Would line filters help smooth out the waveforms here?

One other option I've considered is a 6KW isolation transfomer.  Would that
provide enough RF isolation at 1.8MHz and up?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Clay  W7CE