RFI

Re: [RFI] Digital TV Box Generates 121.5MHz Signal

To: kd4e@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Digital TV Box Generates 121.5MHz Signal
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:57:47 -0600
Rare, yes.  Unheard of, no.  I seem to recall a similar incident here in
the US a few years ago.  The culprit was a television set, and I think it
was up in either OR or WA state.  The search was launched and the TV set
owner, a college student as I remember, was real surprised when a whole lot
of people showed up at his door, unhappy.  I think the TV set manufacturer
replaced his set for free.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

             kd4e
             <kd4e@verizon.net
             Sent by:                  "Rfi@Contesting. Com"
             rfi-bounces@conte         <rfi@contesting.com>,
             sting.com                 tvi-rfi-emi-request@mailman.qth.net
                                                                        cc

             01/19/2006 09:39                                      Subject
             AM                        [RFI] Digital TV Box Generates
                                       121.5MHz Signal

             Please respond to
             kd4e@verizon.net

It is comical that they are so surprised that
these things generate RF!

73, kd4e

The RAF said a rogue signal from a digital television
box which sparked a rescue mission was a "complete freak".

RAF spokesman Michael Mulford said: "Our Kinloss rescue
centre picked up this beacon from one of five orbiting
satellites listening out for these things.

"It was a 121.5 transmission - that's the major emergency
frequency, a Mayday. We traced it to Portsmouth Harbour,
checked and found out there were no vessels in the area
or missing planes.

"We checked with Ofcom and they quickly established it
was coming from a household. It turned out to be a
faulty Freeview box. This is very very unusual, it's
a complete freak and the odds of a digibox sending
out a 121.5 signal must be astronomical."

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=69662006

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

            |_|___|_|
            | | & | |