RFI

[RFI] California: The Switchers are Coming

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] California: The Switchers are Coming
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:32:11 -0800
The California Energy Commission has just published an efficiency standard
dated April 2005. It requires that by 1 July 2006 most appliances made or
sold in California meet state mandates for efficiency. For example, single
voltage external power supplies* of between 51 and 250 watts must be 84
percent efficient, and consume not more than 0.75 watts when not under load.

I don't see an exemption for what we build ourselves.

Source: California Energy Commission
http://energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-012/CEC-400-2005-012.PDF

We may expect an increased use of RF lighting and RF ballasts.  Oh joy!

*[quote]
Power supplies, which are single voltage external AC to DC and AC to AC
power supplies included with other retail products, and [b]single voltage
external AC to DC or AC to AC power supplies sold separately[/b]; and
consumer audio and video equipment, which are televisions, compact audio
products, digital versatile disc players, digital versatile disc recorders,
and digital television adapters.
[unquote]

It's possible we may find some relief with _dual_ voltage AC to DC external
power supplies, whicch are not included.

Don't think to wash off the smell with a hot shower, either:
[quote]
The flow rate of showerheads, lavatory faucets, kitchen faucets, lavatory
replacement aerators, kitchen replacement aerators, wash fountains, and
metering faucets shall be not greater than ?
[unquote]

Cortland
KA5S