RFI

[RFI] Exasperating noise ID

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Exasperating noise ID
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:57:06 -0400
Just started thinking about 160m again for the season and THIS started up:

Recordings in LSB mode, AGC on, 2.3kHz SSB filter:
http://www.n3ox.net/files/1830_160noise_090307.mp3
http://www.n3ox.net/files/tunethru_160noise_090307.mp3

Spectrograms over time:
http://www.n3ox.net/files/1830_160noise_090307.jpg
http://www.n3ox.net/files/tunethru_160noise_090307.jpg

Doesn't appear to be 60Hz and harmonics... does appear to be L O U D
and emanating from the house next door, which is, unfortunately mostly
abandoned.

Yes, I'm getting RFI from a house where no one has lived for the past
year!  The owners (relatives of the former occupant) live some
distance away and I may be able to contact them about this but it
would be helpful if I had a clue what it might be rather than just
emailing or calling out of the blue and saying I was getting RFI from
their empty house.

So if anyone happens to recognize this in particular and could give me
some hints to what it might be, that would be great.

- - - - - - - -

It's an interesting source in that the first direction-finding of it
led me to *my vertical antenna*

I unplugged the vertical radiator from the 160m loading coil and the
noise dropped a lot.

It's possible that the tuned loop coupling to the vertical just made
it a more efficient antenna than it every would  have been on its own,
but after I unplugged the vertical I couldn't find a signal level
nearly as high, even when I was right on the edge of the yard where I
was finding  big signals.

It makes me wonder if there's a path for the noise to be conducted
onto my minimal radial system on 160m ... making my antenna the most
efficient radiator of the noise anywhere in the vicinity....

Anyway, I'm getting some ideas of things to try... but having S9 ++
RFI *apparently* from a house no one lives in is pretty irritating.

Dan