RFI

[RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Meter Sensitivity to Surges
From: kd4e <doc@kd4e.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:51:27 -0500
We have discussed tube, nuvistor, transistor, and
IC vulnerability to EMP (common, e.g. static charges,
and exotic, e.g. terrorist attack).

My question goes to the information displays and
measuring equipment we use.

Scenario:  A thunderstorm passes through and the
equipment takes an indirect surge from a nearby strike
or in the desert a Ham's station gets whacked by major
static buildup (despite efforts to protect the gear).
(Or for disaster-response the consequence of EMP.)

What sort of metering tolerates that scenario best,
please?

Or, is it best to provide taps for an outboard meter
and keep a spare multimeter stashed someplace static-safe?

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Personal: http://bibleseven.com/kd4e.html