RFI

Re: [RFI] Wired vs Wireless Routers for RFI

To: "gd0tep@safe-mail.net" <gd0tep@safe-mail.net>,"rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wired vs Wireless Routers for RFI
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:18:49 -0800
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:27:45 -0000, gd0tep@safe-mail.net wrote:

>The screened CAT5 I use here is fitted with suitable plugs, complete with
>screen. The plug connects to the screen of the router or what ever it is
>you're plugging into. Most modern items using CAT5 sockets are fitted with a
>screen connection.

In general, shielded ("screened" in British English) Ethernet cable is
standard in Europe, whereas unshielded CAT5 is standard in North America.
Thus, the Ethernet equipment and connectors you describe are the standard in
Europe, but not in North America. Indeed, shielded CAT5 is not easy to find,
and I've never seen an Ethernet connector with a shield connection. I'm not
saying they don't exist, they're just not widely available to the general
public.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC