RFI

Re: [RFI] rfi from Refrigerator

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] rfi from Refrigerator
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:31:58 -0700
Hello Kostas,

Several thoughts. First, if you have owned the refrigerator for years or
months and the noise just began, it may be the result of some failure within
the refrigerator. If that is true, it should be repaired.

Yes, a serious ferrite choke on the power cord to the refrigerator has a
good chance of fixing it. To be effective, it would need to be at least 6-8
turns around a 2.4 inch outside diameter toroid of #43 or #31 material or
some part like that. It should be placed very close to the refrigerator
cabinet. Clamp-on ferrites will NOT help -- they provide FAR too little
choking impedance on the HF ham bands. These parts are designed for the VHF,
so you MUST use multiple turns to move them down to the HF spectrum.

A commercial line filter would also work. It should be bonded to the metal
of the refrigerator and inserted into the power cord close to where it
enters the refrigerator.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC