RFI

[RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: George Gorsline VE3YV <ve3yv@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:55:28 -0500
FWIW - I have CFLs throughout the house and also at the cottage.  No
issues with RFI, but as noted cold start in the winter (before the wood
stove heats the cottage up) will give you slow firing and gradual
increase to normal brightness.  They're getting nicer now that warmer
temperatures (colours) are available.  Early purchases didn't have good
life - lots of premature failures.  Note that the fine print says that
they aren't to be installed in enclosed ceiling fixtures - where most of
my failures have been.  Surprising given much lower heat buildup versus
incandescent.  Would prefer to use LEDs when the price comes down as
while CFLs have lower energy consumption, they create a mercury disposal
problem.
LED Christmas lights seem to be RF quiet - at least relative to the
existing noise floor of downtown living.  And in Toronto, the hydro
(power) company gives them away free every year - one string for every
two of the old style turned in.  The one LED RFI problem I've observed
is probably a crummy power supply design in flashing "DON'T WALK"
countdown LED displays at some intersections in the downtown core.

--

73,  George VE3YV / K8HI