RFI

Re: [RFI] Modem - Wireless - CAT 5

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Modem - Wireless - CAT 5
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:21:39 -0800
--- On Tue, 12/9/08, rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Running a wire pair in CAT 5 to my splitter in the shack,
> is it better to parallel all the pairs, leave them float,
> short all the unused pairs and leave them float or short
> them and connect them to one wire of the main pair?

Hi Rick,

What signal are you splitting?  Are you talking about an actual
Ethernet signal or a POTS line? Ethernet signals use at least two
pairs in a CAT5 cable, and depending on the speed of the connection
they may use all four. It is VERY important that you use them as
pairs.

If all you're carrying is a POTS line, you can put it on one pair of
the cable (and you can put four lines on a CAT5). The pairs in CAT5
cable are twisted at different rates, with the blue/blue-white pair
having the highest twist ratio. I've recently seen some very good
research showing that the blue/blue-white pair has significantly
greater immunity from coupling at 60Hz than the other pairs. I
suspect this advantage would carry up to RF, but I haven't seen data
to support that.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC