RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:29:00 -0500
WarrenWolff@aol.com wrote:
> I am buying a batch of incandescents, as well.  CFL's have been a continuing
> problem.  I should have written down the dates and saved the receipts.
> They
> would have gone bankrupt replacing all of mine.  All types of
> applications, along
> with reduced equivalent light flux.
>
> My friendly local "lightning advisor" electrician advised me to shop
> carefully at Lowe's
> and the like.  Incandescents rated at 130 VAC last way longer
> than"regular issue"
> 120 VAC incandescents.  That is absolutely true!
>
> Warren; W7WY
>
> In a message dated 1/16/2009 8:48:45 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> dhallam@rapidsys.com writes:
>
>     Peter Laws wrote:
>      > On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:17, David C. Hallam
>     <dhallam@rapidsys.com> wrote:
>      >
>      >> Do far my experience with CFL's has been very poor.  I mark the
>     date in
>      >> service on each one as I install it.  6 months is the longest
>     one has
>      >> lasted with a couple a little as 2 weeks.  Overall, I would rate
>     them as
>      >
>      > I'm shocked at that.  I mark mine, too.  Some globe-type bulbs in the
>      > kitchen table fixture have started to go (2 of 5 so far) and I was
>      > extremely disappointed to see that they'd only been in service for a
>      > year.
>      >
>      > We replaced all incandescents in our Chicagoland house in 2000-2001
>      > and most of those were still in service when we moved in 2006.
>      > Notable exceptions were the two lamps in the outdoor fixtures.  We
>      > also had some problems with CFLs in a seiling fan fixture which I
>      > attribute to the fact that the bulb sits at about a 45 deg angle
>      > instead of vertical (come to think of it, we've had the same issue
>      > with a ceiling fan fixture here, too.
>      >
>      > Except for special-needs fixtures (like the oven and some others),
>      > I'll never use incandescents again.
>      >
>     I don't remember the date when manufacturing of incandescents is
>     supposed to cease but based on my experience so far I may go out and
>     buy
>     a life time supply of incandescents before it happens.  That may not be
>     too many as I am 72.
>
>     David
>     KC2JD

So far I have found CFL's good for only one thing.  My wife sells
vintage jewelry on the internet. The 6000 degree color temperature CFL's
are excellent for use in a white box to photograph her jewelry.  I use 4
of the 40W equivalent bulbs to illuminate the white box.  The jewelry
stands out against a completely white background.

David
KC2JD/4