RFI

[RFI] Grounding system improvements, looking for comments

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Grounding system improvements, looking for comments
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:40:50 -0600 (CST)

As we all know, a grounding system is not a magik blackhole into which RF
vanishes, but the lower the RF impedance the better.

I need to do some drainage improvements in my crawlspace, running a fair
bit of perf-pipe round the perimeter to the sump pump about 24 inches
below surface.

As it happens, the end of the longest segment is < 3 feet vertical from
the main grounding conductor.  At this closest point, it is < 5 feet from
the main panel, and about the same to the first ground rod just the other
side of the foundation.

It would be simple in the extreme to run a fat lead down to the trench
where the perf-pipe is going and lay approx 35 feet of 6 inch wide copper
flashing.

WHat are your thoughts on this as a low impedance RF ground, and would
bottom of the trench (3 inches under the water level, covered by 2 inches
soil, 6 inch perf-pipe, then more soil) or above the perf-pipe (8 inches
above sub-surface water, 16 inches below grade) be better?