RFI

Re: [RFI] where to buy FairRite?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] where to buy FairRite?
From: "Howard Lester" <hlester@dakotacom.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:08:04 -0700
 From: "Roger (K8RI)"

> I don't know about you, but I want a lot of head room when running a KW
> when I get near the band edges.  I've blown out more than one balun
> albeit, never a choke balun. <:-))

I once used a "remote balun," made of parallel ferrite rods (as I recall,
after smashing it open to see what it was made of), with a 50' dipole fed
with 450 window line. The ladder line connects to one end of the balun, a
short length of RG8 connects to the other end and then to the transmatch in
the shack. I used it from 40-10 meters. OK, I tried to.

The balun was rated at least 1 KW, and yet I cooked it with 100 watts.

Howard N7SO