RFI

Re: [RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:43:13 -0600
Paul Christensen wrote:

> I have come to rely on
> one indispensable tool to locate these noise sources:  A Palomar LA-1 loop
> antenna.  The tropical band plug-in loop covers the lower bands through 6
> MHz with razor-sharp directivity.

snip

> Another tool I use with the LA-1 is an SDR-IQ receiver connected to my
> netbook PC and Elecraft K3's I.F. port.  The SDR-IQ functions as a spectrum
> analyzer on the netbook PC -- and its powered by the netbook USB port.  A
> 14.4VDC gel cel powers the K3.  I just throw it all into a Klein
> electricians bag and start roaming on foot. >

I have a K2 and a softrock sdr, perhaps I can borrow a laptop.....

> In addition to a rise in noise floor, you'll often see switching peaks every
> 30 kHz to perhaps 100 kHz, depending on the switching frequency of the
> source.

that is why I ask the group about this noise, I am familiar with the normal
'every so many kc' type switching supply noise. But this solid noise floor,
noise, is something new to me. I wasn't relating it to a switching supply as it
didn't either sound like what I am use to, nor had the every so many kc
characteristic.

> No doubt a high-quality loop antenna can be home-brewed.  However, I have so
> many projects in the fire that I need to know when to just order something
> and the LA-1 has been an absolute blessing.  However, the LA-1 is no longer
> made by Palomar.  But the good news is that Palstar makes a near-identical
> unit.
>
> http://www.palstar.com/la30.php
>
> The schematics are identical to the LA-1, but with a few improvements.  I
> just purchased their version of the tropical loop antenna since it resonates
> to 7500 kHz.  I have a new switch mode noise source only on 40m that the
> LA-1 loop cannot tune since it stops resonating at 6000 kHz.  So, I am
> hopeful the Palstar loop will stay part of my RFI/EMI detection kit.

wow, I might could afford the tropical loop antenna,
but the $300+ unit it works on is certainly out of my price range, oh well.

--
GB & 73
K5OAI