RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI alert

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI alert
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:08:00 -0500
Progress in this area is slow but I'm pleased to see solutions like this.

Over the weekend, I replaced my home office's under-counter halogen lighting
with a variant that does not use a switched "electronic transformer."  Other
reports here on the RFI list have mentioned these devices as severe RFI
generators.

After the installation, RFI is now 100% silent.  I use an Elecraft K3 with
SDR-IQ for panoramic noise measurements and I was delighted to see a flat
base-line noise level after the installation.  The halogen fixtures are
exactly the same -- only the bulbs are now rated for 120V, rather than +12V.
What caught my attention at the hardware store was the packing that claimed
"completely free from radio and TV interference."  In effect, they've simply
changed the lamp structure to allow direct connection to 120V.

Paul, W9AC