RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:22:27 -0600
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 16:10, Jim Chaggaris <jimc@pwrone.com> wrote:
> " I think that all of the do-gooders in this province are forgetting that
> proper disposal of these things will entail some "...gymnastics"
>
> Yeah, like making a hook shot into the garbage can... :-)

I'm always amused by the folks that get so wound up about the mercury
in fluorescent lighting while conveniently forgetting that most North
American electricity comes from coal which, when burned, releases a
bunch of mercury, some of which goes up your nose.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 mandates that
lighting become more efficient and does not ban any type of lighting
source.  As long as your Edison bulb meets the new standards, feel
free to sell it.  There are exceptions for bulbs designed for fridges,
stoves, etc, where certain types of bulbs are the only types that will
work.  I expect to see the head-in-the-sand types using oven bulbs all
over their houses.  :-)

I've used CFLs for years (they are one reason my last electric bill
for our all-electric house was only $60 and rarely tops $100).  I
can't find any noise on any band attributable to the lighting.

The serial port on my PC, yes, and the Whirlpool Duet washing machine,
yes, but the CFL lighting no.  :-)

It may well be there, but if it is, it's not obvious.