RFI

Re: [RFI] Another look at Geothermal H&V

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Another look at Geothermal H&V
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:45:38 -0600
On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:29, Dave Harmon <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a Climatemaster (model Paradigm) Geothermal.
> There are no fans on the outside unit.

You have an outside unit?  My Waterfurnace (Envision) just has the
unit where the furnace used to be.  Pipes through the attic to the
wells.  Unfortunate architecture means the poor pipe location and no
nearby water heater to take advantage of the DHW pre-heat.  Ah well.

Likewise, my electric bill has only been over $100 a few times since
the system went into service in 2007 (pre-rebates, thankyouverymuch)
though I assume this month will be another.  No gas here, either.
Nonetheless, even at -8 F/-22 C air temps last week, the "emergency
heat" element never came on.

RFI was not a problem until about 2 months ago.  Not a big enough
bother yet for me to do extensive testing, but I do hear it just
before the unit comes on.  I suspect a control system/thermostat
thing.