RFI

Re: [RFI] New to list...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New to list...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 22:52:07 -0700
Hi all,

I found my noise!!  It is 3/4 of a mile away, and very loud there...
Like 40 over S9 in my mobile rigs S meter.  S7 in the same rig at my
home.  Only took about two hours total to track it down.

It is the same noise, I am sure, I drove from what appears to be the
source, the power feed from the overhead power pole pig, to what appears
to be an unoccupied home, all the way back to my home. I will be calling
the power company Monday, so they can investigate further.

The process was as follows:

1.  Grid off the area.
2.  Drive all over, making sure to keep track of sig strength on the
low band rig in the car.  The rig was set to AM to make it simpler to
hear.
3.  When getting close to what we thought was the source, hop out of
the car, using the portable SW radio, DF it looking for null.  That
pointed to the general area of the power feed.

As I said, next step is to contact the Power Company Monday, and have
them do any more poking around.

Thanks to all for the help!!

Dave
NK7Z