RFI

Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....

To: kgordon2006@frontier.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 11:54:29 -0600
Ken,

I have tracked down many grow light operations here in Colorado. Go to my web site http://www.tomthompson.com and look under Amateur Radio. You will find information on loop antennas for tracking it down and also ballast filters for reducing the RFI. There is also a recording of the RFI before and after the filter is installed. I cannot emphasize enough of for you to get out there with a shortwave receiver and a loop antenna and FIND the source. Listening to recordings is not nearly as helpful as just tracking it down. I have tracked down 9 grow operations so far of which 5 are still operational. I have mitigated all 5 with the filter described.

The initial measurements that Larry, W0QE, and I made several years ago were instrumental in Mike Gruber making his excellent measurements and filing a complaint with the FCC, so I have had a lot of experience with this. Again...don't write about it, FIND IT!!

Tom   W0IVJ