RFI

Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....

To: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:45:20 -0700
Thanks, Tom. Listening to your recording, the noise from those grow-lights
as shown on your recording is not the same as what I am experiencing,
although I HAVE heard something very similar, if not identical, to it at
intermittant intervals. I am still suspicious.

To me, "my" noise has a distinctly 60 Hz component. I watched it for an hour
or so on Spectran, and found two distinct "bands" very near the lowest end
of the trace. I wish there was a way within Spectran to expand the lower end
of the trace while ignoring the higher frequencies.

I then set up my NM-20B and started trying to DF it. This turned out to be
more difficult than I had anticipated, since with the loop in the circuit, the
noise is not strong enough in the 80 meter ham band to give me a reliable
indication.

However, when I tuned down around 300 kHz or so, it turned out to be quite
strong, and from my back yard, I got a single, very clear, "DF" on it which is
about 145 degrees true from my location.

We marked it on our map, which is centered on our address.

As soon as my wife returns with the family van, my oldest son and I will drive
around trying to get a few more "angles".

Thank you very much for the link to your very informative website too.

vy 73,

Ken W7EKB