RFI

Re: [RFI] Local noise - another report.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Local noise - another report.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:19:44 -0700
I am still fighting that 20db over S-9 noise level which is very apparent on 80.

So far, I have built Tom Thompson's link-coupled loop, and I and my oldest
son, and sometimes myself alone, have gone on various hunting
expeditions.

So far, we have identified at least two other, less intense, sources of noise.

One, that very unstable-carrier-like thing, is coming from the local
high-school about 1/2 mile away to the south. When I get in the parking lot of
the school, the noise is horrendously loud. I'll talk with the maintenance
people at the HS soon about this.

Another, a periodic burst that except for the fact that it is in town, might
sound somewhat like an electric fence controller, is coming from a house just
across the street from the city park and about 1 mile from and east of my
home. I suspect it is one of those electronic dog fences.

I have also pretty much localized an extremely leaky power-line connection
of some sort about 3/4 miles from and east-south-east of my home, and
across the street from the local Catholic Church. Although I am not certain of
the exact pole, the standing waves of noise become very apparent around
there.

However, none of those has been particularly bothersome lately.

My main noise, a very loud continuous static-like arcing hissing noise, has
been extremely difficult to track down, mainly because when I connect the
loop to the FT-890, mounted in the car, and go hunting, it becomes very
difficult to recognize it due to all the OTHER noises I find which essentially
mask it.

This entire exercise has been a most frustrating experience.

Well, that's the report for this week. More later as I have time.

Ken W7EKB