RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?

To: qrv@kd4e.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:14:15 -0400
Hi David,

For power line noise direction finding I use a portable 4 element yagi for
use on 136 MHZ AM (I don't currently have AM RX capabilities on UHF).  If I
had UHF capabilities I would use both a VHF and a UHF yagi.  Make sure you
use the antenna on a frequency it's designed for, as the pattern will not
maintain itself as you depart from the design frequency (I used EZNEC to
determine how much longer I needed to make the elements on my 4 element 2
meter yagi for use on 136 MHZ, and then extended the elements using
alligator clips).

You should also buy or build a simple 20 dB attenuator that you can install
between the antenna and receiver as you get close to the source of
interference, otherwise the signal is often so strong when you get close
that you can no longer find the nulls off the side of the antenna, etc.

Don  (wd8dsb)