RFI

Re: [RFI] Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 20:27:01 -0400
On 7/1/2014 4:26 PM, Dale J. wrote:
Ding-dong the wicked witch is dead.

Hopefully, those still in service will fail soon.

Whats the average MTBF on plasma displays. The LED powered displays are quite long lived although I know "Quite long lived" is more than a little vague. If I understand correctly, the life of a plasma display is no where near that of the LED which is an LCD with an LED for the light source.

Some of those Plasma displays may be around for a very long time. The old CRTs lasted a very long time depending on use conditions. They would, like most vacuum tubes, lose emission based on hours of use. That affected brightness which could be compensated for, up to a point. When we switched to digital, our CRTs were both over 20 years old. We have a 12 year old 40" up stairs and a new, 40" wide screen, smart TV down stairs. The new smart TV cost a little less than 10% of the older LCD up stairs. As they are both on satellite even the older ones are now "smart" and both work off the internet and my network. So they should feed the computers which are also connected to the ham rigs in the house and shop via CAT6 cables. They also run on WiFi high and low bands as do some of my keyboards.

Lap tops and book/tablets as well talk to the same router with no interference in either direction...So far.

So far, I have never received interference from either TV set, nor have they shown any interference from the ham stations on 160 through 440. I run the legal limit, 160 through 10. I did run 800W on 6 with no problem.

My 2-meter HTs can hear the computers when they are set directly on the computer cases, but nothing right next to the CAT6.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Tnx
Dale, k9vuj