RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI With Smoke Detectors

To: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI With Smoke Detectors
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:34:20 -0400
​​
>>Are they supposed to chirp when another detector is removed or disabled?
They didn't chirp because they were removed. They were chirping because of
the RFI.

>>Does this mean they are in constant or periodic communications with one
another?
When one detector has an "event," it communicates with the entire network.
This is normal.

>>Is more than one frequency being used to intercommunicate between
detectors?
They only use one frequency.

>>Do they have an internal or external antenna on the units?
There is no visible antenna.

>>Have you contacted the vendor about this RFI?
I emailed the manufacturer, but they did not respond.

>>You have a somewhat unusual configuration compared to most that just
install battery operated, independent units.
Actually not. Wireless smoke detector systems are very common. If one
detector alerts, it alerts all detectors throughout the house. Each unit is
battery operated. But independent units are not installed in modern homes
any more.

Stan Zawrotny, K4SBZ
(850) 893-5003 (h) (850) 590-6617 (m)
K4SBZ.Stan@Gmail.com