RFI

[RFI] Fwd: Re: Safety suggestion to consider when trying to locate new i

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fwd: Re: Safety suggestion to consider when trying to locate new it is generated by parent company hardware
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 19:58:17 -0600
Oh, a tip if you do use a portable AM broadcast radio. Wrap some aluminum foil around the radio. Then you can slide that up or down the radio to use as an attenuator to tell when you get close to the right pole. But I have found that tricky at best when in a old neighborhood like mine where maybe many poles are emitting some rfi at AM broadcast but may not be bothering ham bands. A better solution is a portable communications receiver with AM mode and some VHF yagis at various frequencies. Power line rfi diminishes with increased frequency thus you can use that to your advantage to narrow it down to the right pole. Keep in mind also the blame arc can use the lines as an antenna to throw you off further. Its an art to where I am still a novice. I pay attention to every word Mike Martin says.