RFI

[RFI] Rheem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Rheem
From: "Karin Johnson" <karinann@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 11:52:45 -0400
Thanks to all the responders.  I am familiar with all of the possible issues
regarding common mode, differential mode, coupling of high current PWM to
control wiring, etc.  This issue in general is at a starting point for me.
Right now all I know to be factual is that the main source of the RFI is
from the Inverter board and its associated electronics and wiring driving
the motor in the main outside unit compressor.  What I don't know is what is
the coupling mechanism to cause the radiated noise.  One can assume that
there is some coupling effect either on main power wiring, control wiring,
even the grounding system.  The only way to fix this is to find that
coupling mechanism and then apply the cure.  I should have said "one of the
only ways".  Obviously one other method would be to have the entire system
removed and replaced with a quiet system.  In all honesty that is kind of a
naïve way of solving this problem.  It would more than likely wind up with a
big court battle, which is way beyond my financial capability.  If it were
written into the installation contract maybe, just maybe this would succeed.
It was not written as such.  As mentioned before, working outside in the
Florida heat and humidity this time of year is not something I am not going
to right now.  I will proceed to slowly work on this issue.  Ham radio is a
hobby for me, and it doesn't dominate my life, that I need to get this issue
fixed tomorrow.  The bottom line is I've solved problems like this before,
and this issue will be solved as I take the time to work with the installer
and my own technical expertise.  Is it a challenge?  Yes, but what is life
all about?????

Regards to the group,

Karin Anne Johnson  P.E.  K3UU
Palm Harbor, FL