[RTTY] Results of CQ/RJ WW and WPX Contests

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Results of CQ/RJ WW and WPX Contests
From: k5dj@austin.rr.com (Ron K5DJ)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 01:06:40 -0000
 I would like to add a few words to John's comments about marketing. I
 agree with his comments 100%. I bow to any and all contest sponsors
 and if they feel they need sufficient time to get the results in there
 magazines first, I'll go along with it.

 Folks, all of us would love to see results posted on various reflectors

 about a month after the contest is over. Make that 6 weeks, one month
 to get all the logs, and two weeks for Eddie and all other log checkers
 check the logs and then post them on the reflectors. I'm sure this
could be
 done if necessary. However, this would do quiet a bit of damage to the
 magazines that sponsor these contests. I assure you the sponsors are
 sponsoring these contests with hopes you will subscribe to there
magazines.
 Results have always been published in the magazines first.  WHY!  Well
it's
 no secret the internet has hurt most all magazines in one way or
another. The
 magazines have people working for them that would really like to get a
pay
 check on payday. Without subscribers there will be NO paycheck, no
sponsored
 contests, no certificates, no plaques being sponsored. All you will get
for
 your weekend of hard work or fun is a nice  "At uh BOY"  typed out on
the
 reflector.  I assure you most if not all contest sponsors aren't
sponsoring
 these contests "for the only reason" so we can have a good time that
weekend.

 Many individual plaque sponsors do sponsor plaques so you will have
 recognition of your efforts. I will also add that plaque sponsors don't
 grow on trees. At times there down right hard to find. If we didn't
have
 these private individuals supporting plaques, there would most likely
be
 one plaque given to the world winner the rest would get certificates.

 Let me also assure you there is a lot of work that goes into sponsoring
 contest especially ones as big as CQWW and WPX. Just the paper
certificates
 alone are quiet expensive for all contest sponsors. Getting the design
work
 for the certificates done, printing all the certificates, Postage to
mail
 them is quiet expensive. How about plaques. Most all magazines support
 several plaques. Sponsoring a contest isn't as simple as you may think.
You
 don't just hit the internet and say we are going to have a contest on
this
 weekend and that's it. There is work that goes into it also. The cost
is
 somewhat more then you would thing to make the contest happen with any
 success. Right now we are only talking about two contest, multiply that
by
 how many contests CQ, QST, NRJ, NCJ Magazines, sponsors, each one of
them
 having hundreds of operators feeling this contest is there favorite and
 should take priority over all the others and all of them have to be
given
 an monthly issue to post there results and you can see why it takes
time
 to publish the results. Staying with in the budget is PRIORITY ONE to
most
 any business.

 Yes we could have a bunch of results real fast over the internet if you

 don't mind trading certificates and plaques for "At uh BOY" awards..

 Who knows the magazines may go for it. It would sure cut there budgets
 considerable..

 I may not like it very much but I will wait my turn for the results to
be
 published in the magazines first. I thank all the magazines for the
contests
 they support..

 That's my two cents worth.

  73, de Ron K5DJ