Re: [RTTY] "Slashed" Zeros vs. the number "Zero"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] "Slashed" Zeros vs. the number "Zero"
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:40:45 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Bill Turner wrote:

> I'm not sure when things changed, but they sure did.  Nowdays, the zero and
> the "O" are differentiated by their thickness.  A zero is skinny, an "O" is
> fat.  0O - which is which?

It's entirely dependent on what character set you are using and which
font.  The terminal I'm on right now (the default terminal window in SuSE)
shows them as two different widths.  Other character sets and fonts might
put a dot in the middle of the zero or slash it.

I think what N1ND is getting at is that folks are putting non-ASCII
slashed zeros in their Cabrillo files.  There *is* a slashed zero around,
though I can't input it on this terminal to demonstrate (easily done on
the web with &Oslash;) but it is NOT an ASCII character.  Pretty sure the
Cabrillo spec says ASCII only.

As an aside, this terminal can't do anything fancy at all, like ISO-8859-1
accented characters, and it drives me nuts.  On my Solaris systems at
work, dtterm shows accents just fine.

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
WAC (phone)