Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:56:15 -0600
Hello Ty,

Call me olde fashioned (I just got my AARP card the other week)... but for RTTY
contesting, every radio built should have an FSK mode. One diode, one cap, and
a piece of wire... pennies...

Regarding NET/Autotune... well okay, if you must... :-) My solution is to buy a
radio that tunes 1KHz per revolution so you can easily zero the signal in the
first place... At 5 KHz per revolution, it IS a challenge to get right on top
of a 170 Hz signal.

But overall, I think we're pretty much in agreement...

"How about PSK?"  ...what's that???  (just kidding...)

<soapbox=on>
With the enormous increase in RTTY contesting (and other digital modes), I
think manufacturers will need to address these features, even in their entry
level radios...

Talk digital up at the manufacturers booths at Dayton Hamvention, or any other
chance you get... They need to hear everyone doesn't have $3K to $10K to spend
on one radio for their hobby.

And I think that's where this whole thread started... If you have a limited
budget... what does experience tell you...
<soapbox=off>

Now all we need to do is get Tom to whip out that checkbook and throw some of
his money around! And then let us know what he decided to do!

Microphone back to you...

73 de Bob - K0RC