Re: [RTTY] K3

To: "'Iain MacDonnell - N6ML'" <ar@dseven.org>, "'Terry'" <terry@kk6t.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K3
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:06:12 -0500

> 200Hz is a wee bit too tight, IMO. I think the ideal setup
> would be 400Hz for general RTTY operation, and a 250Hz for
> those times when you have strong stations moving in on both
> sides.

I can confirm that the 200 Hz filter is a bit too tight.  My
200 Hz filters measure 170 and 180 Hz which puts both RTTY
tones at the -6dB points with most of the switching sidebands
well down the filter skirt.

Having both the Elecraft (Inrad) 250 Hz and 400 Hz filters
is a bit redundant.  Per data on the Elecraft web site
(http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_8_pole_plots.htm), the 400 Hz
filter is 435 Hz wide (-6 dB) and the 250 Hz filter is 370 Hz
wide (-6 dB).  There is hardly enough difference to justify
the cost of the 250 Hz filter.

For reference, I have measured four of the 500 Hz/5 pole filters
(two in each of my K3s) ... three were 480 Hz, one was 470 Hz at
-6 dB.  Elecraft have posted e-mail giving component changes for
the 200 Hz filter (two capacitors) that will reduce the insertion
loss by about .7dB and increase the nominal bandwidth from 225 Hz
to 260 or 290 Hz.  GM3SEK has modified his 200 Hz filter and
confirms that the 260 Hz modification works as predicted.

Given the price difference between the 5-pole and 8-pole
filters, I recommend sticking with the 500 Hz 5-pole filter
for most operation and considering a modified 200 Hs 5-pole
filter for RTTY if necessary.  Note that the narrow (Inrad
250 or modified 5-pole filter) will only effect interfering
signals (IMDDR) in a very narrow range (+200 to 350 Hz and
- 200 to 350 Hz) on either side of the basic filter as the
ultimate selectivity in the K3 is produced by the DSP which
can be adjusted independently of the "roofing" filter.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV