Re: [RTTY] Affordable PCI sound card recommendations?

To: "Iain MacDonnell - N6ML" <ar@dseven.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Affordable PCI sound card recommendations?
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:57:31 -0600
There's other things to consider beyond the soundcard. The soundcard is
usually on the bottom of my suspect list.

In MMTTY you can select from three different demodulators by clicking the
TYPE button. Above and slightly to the left of this button will be the
acronyms FIR, IIR, and PLL as you click through them. Depending upon band
conditions at the moment, one of the three can provide better copy.

Something beyond operator control is band and path conditions. It's possible
to have a S-9 signal and not be able to decode because of bit distortion
(delay). This is especially prevalent on signals going over a polar path.

Another issue can be AC hum (ground loop). A few months back I experienced
this for the first time in my shack. I saw the ripple on the scope. It just
didn't "look right" and MMTTY wasn't decoding for beans. I figured out the
problem but I don't recall what I did at the moment.

The difference between copy and no copy is rig dependant too. I was not a
believer until I bought an Icom 756 Pro III and turned on the RTTY twin peak
filter. It brought signals out of the noise the I would never been able to
copy on my TS-950SDX... even with all of it's filters and DSP.

Another source of "self inflicted QRM" can be your own monitoring system. If
you are picking your RX audio from the external speaker, it (the
loudspeaker) will pickup room noises (another RTTY signal from a different
radio perhaps?) and feed that into your soundcard input. Now you have two
competing signals going into the MMTTY decoder.

Just a few thoughts.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN