Re: [RTTY] Fun, but

To: "'Kok Chen'" <chen@mac.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fun, but
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:14:42 -0500

> No, that transmit bandpass filter had only addressed the
> symptom, not the cause, Joe.  As a result, as a few people
> have reported after installing the Feb 9 Beta firmware,
> certain settings still caused the envelope glitches.

It addressed some but not all of the causes.  The current
alpha - which I do have - seems to have addressed the root
cause.  However, the bandpass filter may still be of value
for some of the lousy AFSK generators out there.

> Until this is sent to a wider beta audience, we don't know
> yet if it fixes all cases.  And even so, there are going to
> be a whole lots of people who will still be transmitting
> dirty RTTY signals.

There are a whole lot of dirty RTTY signals out there not
generated by a particular brand of radio.  Many users in
general need to understand the issues of overdriving mic
inputs, operating system sounds, hum, etc.  There are more
of those problems out there than the AFSK "glitch" in one
DSP implementation.

> Please stop blaming other peoples' receivers, when in this
> case the transmitter is at fault.  I am sure Tom's receiver
> is fine, especially where his QTH is.

Yes, every operator has a responsibility to be sure that his
signal is clean.  However, no user has the expectation of any
form of "guard band" around his operating frequency.  Whether
it applies to Tom or not, there are too many operators with
2.7 KHz filters and click on the waterfall software who expect
to be protected from AGC desense within 5 KHz.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV