Re: [RTTY] Fun, but

To: "'Tom Osborne'" <w7why@verizon.net>, "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fun, but
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:49:49 -0700
I heard some awful sounding rtty during the contest.  MMTTY decoded them.  I
have no clue what why they sounded odd but they did.  I also had a fair
number of people who called pretty far off frequency.

I was one that put the call in front of the exchange and not at the end.  I
had it at the beginning and end but removed the one at the end.  I only had
a few instances where people asked for fills.

My biggest pet peeve was multiple callers same freq same timing.  If I was
loud and I didn't come back it is probably because two or more of you wiped
each other out.  I would wait and see if anyone would dump in their call.
Most times not.  CQ test and two or more would wipe each other out.  Finally
someone would figure it out.  I worked many mults dumping my call after the
first call.  I can't send my exchange faster than you can dump your call a
couple of times.  I am all for not trouncing on someone else but I know some
people left, I hope they came back.

I had a couple of people that could not read and just decided I must have
went back to them and they just dumped their exchange over the guy I was
working.  I even had one station just send his call and the exchange all at
once.  I can only remember a couple of times where people just fired up cq's
on top of the freq I was using.

Finding a clean spot on 80 was tough.  I did end up around 3576 and had a
great run till the end of my time.  I think I got lucky with other fairly
strong stations on either side.  We were close but not so much that people
could not find me.  I think I ended up on other people on 20 that were out
of my skip zone.  I never found a good run frequency.  15m was open to AZ at
the start and even to the 1 land.  Just very few people on the band.  10 was
dead...dead...dead....

Come on sunspots!

I was looking forward to a SO2R effort by I had a failure with radio 2.  The
2nd radio sure helps with the mult totals and keeping you busy.  I was sure
wishing I could have been alternating cq's on 15/20 or 20/40.

I worked lots of new faces that did not appear in the master callsign files.
This is great news!

I wish I could have worked everyone on all bands.

See you in the next one!

never get over." Ben Franklin