Re: [RTTY] ROS

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ROS
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:34:50 -0700
John GW4SKA (GB50ATG) wrote:
> When operating in the test this afternoon on 14097.5 I was
> told to QSY as I was on the ROS frequency. The policeman told
> me to look on the net for info on ROS. I did QSY in case this
> was some emergency set-up.
>
> A search later got me to the Southgate ARC site where the
> frequency for this mode is stated to be 14101 and I found out
> it was just another data mode. Does anyone know more about
> where they operate, 14097 or 14101?
>
> It seems like a mode that I have never heard about can grab a
> frequency in the middle of the usual RTTY section. Sorry, but
> in future they can take their chances on where I happen to be
> operating. We already stay clear of 14100, 14095 and various
> other slots. If ROS is magically robust it should work round my RTTY!

Unless you started transmitting on, or too near, a frequency that was
already in use, there is no reason to QSY.  (Moreover, QSYing reinforces
special interest groups laying claim to specific frequencies.)  Amateur
frequencies are shared on a first come, first served basis.  Ironically,
much of the amateur spectrum is unoccupied the majority of the time.
Therefore, frequency conflict is good in the sense that our frequencies are
being used.  All amateurs should use discretion when selecting a frequency.
First priority is to avoid interference to frequencies already in use.  Next
priority should be a reasonable attempt to avoid frequencies that are
commonly used by specific interests, IF there are other frequencies
available to operate on.  Examples are popular PSK frequencies of 14070-72,
QRP at 7040, CW on the lower ends of the bands, etc.  But, in total, if all
the claimed net and special usage frequencies were listed, there would be
very little spectrum left for general use.  That is entirely inappropriate.

In the FCC regs, emergency usage is the only priority on amateur
frequencies.  That is, if a true emergency operation interrupts my use of
the frequency, I should QSY.  Or, if I know that a current emergency is
often using a specific frequency, I should avoid it, whether it is in use or
not.  I assume this is the case for most country's telecommunications rules.
In addition, the small handful of NCDXF Beacon frequencies are a special
case that are always in use, even if we can't hear each station at our
particular location.  Because the beacons are transmitting 24x7 and because
their service benefits all amateurs and modes, it is appropriate to stay
clear because we all know they are transmitting there.

Contests often take heat for using too much spectrum, but again, this is for
a minority of the week where the rest of the time the bands are mostly
quiet.  While contests may be inconvenient for non-contesters, they benefit
all amateurs with heavy utilization of amateur spectrum allocations.
Contests are like a bicycle race or the Monte Carlo that monopolizes the
shared public roads for a short time period ... others have to adapt and
work around it.  When I first moved to Los Gatos, I was very annoyed the
first Sunday I tried to get to my Post Office Box near the town square.
There was the weekly farmer's market occurring and it was impossible for me
to park anywhere near the Post Office and get my mail.  Since then, I
quickly learned to not expect to get my mail conveniently on Sunday
mornings.  I adapted and haven't worried about it any more.  It's not ideal,
but my flexibility accommodates another valid use of that shared, public
space.

My wish is that amateurs can be flexible in their preferred use of the
spectrum and be thankful that we do have usage conflicts that justify the
continued need for our frequencies.

73,
Ed