Re: [RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:06:56 -0500
N1JM wrote:

Do K3s key click using FSKD or 590s using FSK?

Yes. For the K3, the evidence has been published; the K3 is capable of producing cleaner RTTY (lower levels of key clicks) in AFSK than it is in FSK:

1. Read <http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/k3rtty/k3rtty.html> (the article that triggered the current discussion).

2. Read <http://www.w7ay.net/site/Technical/K3/Content/digital.html>, where Chen made similar observations in early 2010.

3. Test for yourself. In March 2010, after reading Chen's article, I did an experiment with my K3, a dummy load, a separate receiver (a Kenwood TS-850), short wires for antennas, and MMTTY and spectrum display software. Using FSK D and AFSK A in turn on the K3, I transmitted idle (diddle) and RY signals from MMTTY at various power levels and on various frequencies into the dummy load and took screen shots of the signals received in the TS-850 using spectrum display software in a separate computer. In every case, the received AFSK signal had visibly lower shoulders than the FSK signal at the same power level. I would not want to claim that these measurements were anything more than a demonstration, but the results were clear enough to convince me that my K3's performance was not any different from what Chen and Andy have reported.

Now, it is true that I did take precautions similar to those that Chen has mentioned in this thread to avoid hum, noise and overdriving. I have no doubt that someone with an "all knobs to the right" mentality and with no understanding of how to produce a clean signal can generate absolute garbage using AFSK, especially with a transceiver that is less forgiving (idiot-proof??) in AFSK than the K3. I have seen it; we probably all have. But equally, I have no doubt that someone with a good understanding of these issues can produce cleaner RTTY using AFSK than the current generation of amateur transceivers produces in FSK. This will continue to be the case until the manufacturers start paying attention to key clicks in FSK RTTY.

I can't speak for the TS-590 from personal experience, but I have read and seen nothing that would make me suspect that it (or any other amateur transceiver) is significantly better (or worse) than the K3 in this respect.

73,
Rich VE3KI