Re: [RTTY] To DE or not to DE

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] To DE or not to DE
From: Elmar PD3EM <info@pd3em.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:10:43 +0200
Hi all,

I think it's always a combination of sending as quick and a clearly as possible.
While doing S&P I often turn into the end of a QSO where the running station is
ending with just his call sign.
Then I don't see that he's the one that's calling CQ so I have to wait until he
send the whole CQ again.
So 3 more characters are much faster to have another QSO ;-)

Myself, I always use DE PD3EM PD3EM at the begin on answering a CQ.
As a Dutch Novice I'm only allowed to use 25 watt maximum (all PD…. stations
are) so in my opinion my chances are better to be copied 100% on the first call.
In this way DE is clearing the QRM a little bit with a lot of stations on air
and answering CQ.

Also with a lot of stations answering on a running station the exchange is (for
me) preferred to be like:
CQ TEST W6SX W6SX CQ
DE PD3EM PD3EM
PD3EM 599 03 CA PD3EM instead of just PD3EM 599 03 CA
I see it happening a lot that the first callsign is messed up due to other
stations still calling.
It's 5 characters longer but it eliminates resending the full exchange.

Good luck all and hope to work a lot of you this weekend.

73, Elmar PD3EM