Re: [RTTY] ARRL board of Directors meeting this week

To: rtty-contesting.com <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL board of Directors meeting this week
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:20:54 +0000
I've kept my mouth shut because I'm a fairly new subscriber to the list, and my
own views on the subject probably wouldn't be particularly popular here....but
I've never been that successful at self-censorship.  So, here's my $0.02 worth.

Something that you might want to consider, even though it's late in the
game.... if the League were on the level about wanting to remove the symbol
rate limitation (without giving license to spectrum-consuming attempts at HF
broadband) while otherwise maintaining the status quo, perhaps they would be
agreeable to a tweak to the proposal:

In my comments to the FCC, I suggested that it would be less disruptive to
authorize 2.8kHz ONLY for the automated subbands and above.  Below the Pactor
playgrounds, it would be reasonable and somewhat in keeping with current
practices to set the bandwidth limit at 500Hz.

(A narrower constraint might be appreciated in the usually CW-only segments of
the bands, but I figured a simple counterproposal had a better chance of
success.)

That, of course, does nothing to resolve concerns about the non-open-source
nature of Pactor 2+, many Winlink users'  apparent inability to listen before
transmitting, the limited spectrum available for non-CW operations on 30m, or
our apparent inability to adapt among ourselves as circumstances evolve.
However, given the League's stance, the write-in campaign from Winlink users,
and the FCC's apparent receptiveness to the proposal (they did, after all,
invite someone to propose a new rule in their report to Congress a bit over a
year ago, if you read between the lines)... the ship has not only sailed, but
it's probably out past the breakwater now.

Efforts at this point might be better spent on trying to get a course
correction, rather than trying to reel the ship all the way back to the dock.

Michael / N1EN