[TRLog] More disguised 5 QSO stuff

Subject: [TRLog] More disguised 5 QSO stuff
From: TomSh@firsthealth.com (Tom Schaefer)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 11:07:23 -0700
Here is my two cents...

I have yet to find I HAD to edit the log beyond 5 Qs. If I have, I simply
popped out to an editor and did it. This is usually only when someone at
Field Day forgets to change bands so the dupes will be right. I always
put notes in the log to let me know something I need to look at later.

I agree with the idea that it would be nice to edit every QSO, but it would
be nice to have the things copy the CW, decide when to S&P or run, etc.
If it is possible, depending upon memory, to shell out to an editor to
change the log, then that would be a nice feature.

As with any software project, the cost benefit ratio must make sense.
Technology for its own sake it of no use to anyone except those that
would rather play with the computer than contest. Tree has said it would
require a great deal more effort to implement the entire log in memory.
Besides, he would have to keep a copy on disk, one in memory, then
reconcile them whenever a change was made to the log. The latency
time of log writing would certainly increase for each block of Qs. I, for
one, would rather see some of the other wish list items added than see a
bunch of time spent on a feature that few would gain benefit from at the
expense of other, potentially more used features.

Again, just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

73,

Tom NY4I