[TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analysis

Subject: [TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analysis
From: Ve3bmv@aol.com (Ve3bmv@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:09:09 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-25 05:20:47 EDT, US5WE writes:

<< Therefore, arguments like: "I can log with just two fingers", or: "My
scores
 went down with computer logging but I am happy, etc" aren't even worth
 considering. One can type with single finger, nose, pencil, "SOMETHING ELSE"
but these methods are, a priori, WRONG and lead to nowhere.>>

NOT TRUE!
Yes, I can log and type with two fingers (faster than my XYL with all 10),
but I admit that touch typing has a  big advantage for not needing to look at
the keyboard. Decent two finger speed is sufficient for contest logging
program as compare to high speed typing - receiving of long CW text.

<< Firstly - For decades there have been 2 (T W O) different categories in
 high-speed CW competitions(I was both participant and referee for the last
 25 years):
 1.Hand copy
 2.Typewriter copy>>

True only for high speed CW copying competition, not for contest logging -
contesting. Contesting does not require accurately receiving of 5 minutes of
CW text. It requires to catch and write (type) 5 letters per QSO.

 <<TEST No 2.
 Measure and compare the time-delay between your response to one's call
 with manual and computer logging. Ideally it must not exceed :
 - for KEYBOARD: time to type the last letter of his call and ENTER (for TR)
 or GreyPlus for CT; >>

You can type 3 (or whatever you choose in TR) letters, than wait for station
to finish his call, hit last letters of his call, and TR will start sending
his call immediately. Sooo, NO DELAY. Needs to be practised, of course.

<< - for MANUAL LOGGING : * no delay *
 Why? Because with manual logging you have to remember the call and start to
respond immediately after hearing the last letter and log the
 QSO while getting his response. Unfortunately this method DOES NOT work
 with computer logging (!!!!!!!) because the response delay in the BEST
 case equals the duration of the calling-station's call.
 Painful experience......>>

Not true with TR (don't know, don't care about others)!!!!!!!

<< The problem described in TEST No 2 gives the answer to the question "Why
one is calling CQ on default 35 wpm but responds to those calling on 20 wpm
after some delay?"  -  because he/she does not posess the NECESSARY
typewriter copying and computer logging skills.>>

Not the problem of computer logging (or typing speed), but operator who did
not master the program yet.

<<Secondly - comuter logging contains another problem /skill to be learned/
            --- > CONTROL CHARACTERS.
  The DupeSheet writing/checking skill, which is somewhat functionally
similar, is absolutely useless in this case. The only solution to learn how
to use these CTRL-_'s and ALT-_'s AUTOMATICALLY (!!!!!) would have been the
good SIMULATOR software. At this time I am not aware of any SIMULATOR both
for CT and TR that really simulates and TEACHES how to use all possibilities
of these nice commercial products including, especially, both S&P and CQ
modes, multiplier checks, editing fields and so on.
   Contest operation is a Battle-field and NOT a Training-ground. One must
fight and be well prepared to do this long before touching the first F1.>>

Just as with manual logging, you need to get there. The only way to get there
is by doing it. Just like we did it over 5 - 10 - 20 years of manual logging
and contesting - PRACTICE. You need to train - charge subconcious part of
your brain, and this can be done only by doing it. Sooo, the best training is
to start with less important contests and fine tune the operating habits.
Simulators are nice, but there so many variations of operating styles
different operators have, that the best way is to fine tune YOU - RIG -
controls - computer logging and everything else that comes into play DURING
the CONTEST (less important one).
Heck, I have a problem of manual logging after 6 months of not contesting,
takes me about 4 hours to get back to my manual machine routine of operating,
logging, real time dupping, etc. (And I would still throw occasionaly as my
call sign one that I used in the last contest when it was different!)

<<  Thirdly - another factor that influences the hand vs computer logging
speed ratio is the logging software itself. In other words, the question
is how close computer logging can approach the hand logging QSO
rate for someone who's able to handle any pile-up both on SSB and CW
and and was taught to do this by hand decade or so ago.>>

You can always use computer in place of pencil/pen, if you have time to write
the call in the log by hand, you can hit few keys, (not if you need police
dog to fetch the keys on keyboard for you) added advantage is: it keeps track
of time, band, dupes and on CW is just simply pleasure to operate (closest
thing to terrific sex.)

<< Unfortunately all these advantages are "effectively killed" by the
nightmare
 of the Alt-E command. This is, for me at least, the weakest part of the
 software that seriously degrades it's overall performance.>>

According to N6TR it is a matter of tradeoff, speed, convenience vs. fixing
up later. I am trying to combat this by trying to fix or catch the goofs as
soon as I can. Or you can can just scribble a note on paper - QSO number and
what. Later fix it when there is a time.

<< SSB contests.
 --------------
 These require the AUTOMATIC keyboard copy of the different type of
 information i.e. letters and figures in English spelled by voice.
 Where and how can one learn such a skill? If he/she lives in the English
 speaking country, secretary workshop would be a good approximation.
 If one's living somewhere else he's in trouble. The worst cases are
 countries using, other then QWERTY, keyboard standarts. ........ >>>

Huh??

<< 1.It is still not clear if existing computer contest logging is superior
 to hand-logging based on QSO per hour criterium.>>

To me it IS SUPERIOR, if nothing else, because it takes care of F$%^&* duping
and doing the logs after the contest, that was the only part about contesting
I hated, spending day after the contest and reduping the whole thing AGAIN,
because I found that I was human, made errors (like writing 5 instead of B in
the callsign), even was disqualified in ARRL DX contest "for excessive
errors" like "wrong" signal report. Now the computer does it for me as I go,
even shows me - rings, when I beat the record. Far out man!!!
Now with sending CW automatically, I am in contest heaven!!

<<2.The existing contest logging software packages have to be upgraded to
 allow using the best hand-logging tricks like: multiple tail-ending or
 partial calls scooping( technique to write down parts of calls heard in
 pile-up to work them aftrwards in a raw) etc.>>

I think authors are working on improving the software, especially TR,
sometimes it needs more screaming to get him going, but eventually it is
done, and I hope he sticks with it. (please)

<< 3.Editing the callsign field of any logged qso must lead to immediate
 corresponding change of all qso parameters i.e. multiplier(s) and points
 (CT style) and be as easy as possible.>>

It would be nice, but practice to get "perfect" not to make mistakes, or
catch them right there on the first line, or last five.

<< 4.In order to switch from hand logging to computer logging, one has to
 have similar CW and voice copying speeds and "blind typing" skills
 BEFORE the actual changeover takes place.>>

Respectfully disagree with my friend and great competitor. I stupid fired up
computer logging for the first time as P40A on SSB (got SA record), I felt
like a bull in the china shop, had to reboot three times (and station waited
for me, bless him) but I loved it right there. Bigger problem was that Inv
Vee burned the rope, fell down on Delta Loop the first night, and I was
severely signal impaired, but still loved it (if one loves the contest
torture).

<<I would like to continue this discussion so please respond directly at
us5we@fairs.org>>

I felt to replay here, because I strongly disagree with my friend's opinion.
I chose TR because of responsive support/upgrades and mainly, possibility of
using/controlling two radios. I have plans for whole new generation of
contest station setup and TR fits that picture the best at the present time.
Yes, I realized that it would be helpful to be a touch typist (not looking at
keyboard), but I found I am having hard time to unlearn two finger and learn
10 finger typing (don't forget two feet!). I have no problem of keeping up
with logging by two fingers, it is looking at the keyboard that bothers me
when contesting. I will definitely try to unlearn/learn and hope to get
BETTER. The big plus is of course being able to control the rigs via
keyboard, touch style. So I can watch panadapters and bands while rattling it
away.
Computer logging/control has elevated CW operating to another level, I love
it more than SSB or anything else. Sharp filters, automated CW, two radios,
lots of antennas, .... all I need is five deep pileup.
I still have not mastered the program and computer control fully, I have to
redesign the station, antennas to take advantage of computer control, (I have
been out of contesting and ham radio for last 10 years) but I like what I see
now and in the future, and I am all fired up again and would like to do it on
another, higher  level.  I will be going slowly, one band at a time, starting
on 160 and working up with the sunspots.
That's the way I feel anyway.

Yuri,
VE3BMV, K3BU, P40A, op: CG1ZZ, N2EE