[TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analysis

Subject: [TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analysis
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:43:08 EDT
On Fri, 25 Jul 97 07:37:48 +0300 Vic_Goncharsky
<Vic_Goncharsky@p180.f10.n462.z2.fido.ccrd1.lviv.ua> writes:

>TEST No 2.
>Measure and compare the time-delay between your response to one's call
>with manual and computer logging. Ideally it must not exceed :
>- for KEYBOARD: time to type the last letter of his call and ENTER
>(for TR)

One of the sweetest cw features of TR is the ability to set
AUTO SEND CHARACTER COUNT = 4
AUTO CALL TERMINATE = TRUE

When configured this way, the program starts sending the
callsign and exchange as soon as the fourth character of
the callsign is typed into the callsign field. The operator
has to train himself to type the first three characters,
memorize the rest of the characters, and as soon as the
calling station finishes his callsign, to type the fourth
character. You then have about two seconds to finish typing
the rest of the call. You do not have to hit the ENTER key.

I was demonstrating this feature to some local hams in a recent
contest. We had a big pileup going at about 35 wpm, and I was
able to totally keep up with the typing, never missing a beat,
deliberately using only one finger of my left hand in a very
leisurely manner. Actually what I have trained myself to do
is to type up to and including the NUMBER in the callsign,
and wait for the rest. It seems quite natural that way,
although not always optimal.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com