[TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analisys

Subject: [TRLog] Hand vs Computer - Some analisys
From: lu6beg@canopus.com.ar (Ernesto Grueneberg)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:45:45 -0300
Vic_Goncharsky@p180.f10.n462.z2.fido.ccrd1.lviv.ua wrote:

 > Dear fellow contesters!
 > After reading most of the recent discussion regarding the paper vs
omputer
 > logging I did not find any messagees containing serious attempt to
 > analyze this dilemma that we are facing.
 >
 > I have been studying this problem since getting my first XT in 1990
 > and want to share the conclusions with the skilllful contesting
 > audience.
 >
 > The best epigraph I was able to find for this discussion are the ords
 > from Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" song:
 >
 > "If you gonna play, boy, you have to do it RIGHT".
 >  *************************************************
 >
 > Therefore, arguments like: "I can log with just two fingers", or: "My
scores
 > went down with computer logging but I am happy, etc" aren't even orth
 > considering. One can type with single finger, nose, pencil,
"SOMETHING ELSE"
 > but these methods are, a priori, WRONG and lead to nowhere.
 >
 > Let's start with CW contests where analysys is quite simple. As a
starting
 > point I'll introduce some basics.
 >
 > Firstly - For decades there have been 2 (T W O) different categories
in
 > high-speed CW competitions(I was both participant and referee for the
last
 > 25 years):
 > 1.Hand copy
 > 2.Typewriter copy
 >
 > Average top scores were 20 - 25% in favor of the Typewriter copy.
 > None of the participants shared both methods equally successful.
 > TYPE-COPYISTS' scores in hand copying were far behind their
counterparts
 > from group 1. HAND-COPYISTS could barely type either.
 >
 > This shows, quite clearly, the following:
 >
 > a. Ideally, the keyboard copying speed could increase about 20
percent
 >    compared to the hand logging.

 It doesn't matter. That increase is useful when you're copying high
 quantity of text, but to copy 6 or 8 letters I can't see any real
 advantage on copying 20% faster.

 > b. One faces the problem of necessity to  re-train oneself to the
completly
 >    different skill if decision to switch to the computer logging has
been
 >    made.

 That's true, but not so hard 'cause you don't need to copy the same
 speed than a professional typer.

 > b. The re-training process will be time-consuming and age-dependent
if equal
 >    or better results have to be acheived.

 See  b.

 > c. Together with copying skills one has to change the OPERATING
skills as well,
 >    since there is no left or right (ie free from copying and
paddling) hand
 >    avaliable to tune the RIT, switch bands,memories, RF/AF gain, etc
anymore.

 That's a good point. Tree has solved the most anoyining RIT, by
 controlling it with the shift keys. Also to tune same keys are used.
 but asuming that you have only 2 hands ;) it's difficult to key, tune
 and write at the same time also.

 > d. Both hands are to be "chained" to the QWERTY keyboard in a proper
way, since
 >    only automatic "blind typing" will give one a chance to have the
operating
 >    convenience and speed compared to the hand-logging scheme.

 That's not true due to START SENDING NOW feature. It enables to type
 with certain degree of delay, so usually I can start sending right
after
 the other station has ended.

 > TEST No 1.
 > Install the latest version of "SM" software. Try to copy the highest
possible
 > speed by hand, say, letters - 25 to 30 wpm. If you can do this
error-free
 > you're in good shape. Now try to copy the same speed on keyboard. If,
again,
 > you're doing this error-free your chances to be in Top-Ten are quite
high,
 > if NOT you'll know what I feel every time I am failing to pass this
test...hi

 > TEST No 2.
 > Measure and compare the time-delay between your response to one's
call
 > with manual and computer logging. Ideally it must not exceed :
 >
 > - for KEYBOARD: time to type the last letter of his call and ENTER
(for TR)
 > or GreyPlus for CT;

 NOT TRUE, see d.

 > - for MANUAL LOGGING : * no delay *
 > Why? Because with manual logging you have to remember the call and
start to
 > respond immediately after hearing the last letter and log the
 > QSO while getting his response. Unfortunately this method DOES NOT
work
 > with computer logging (!!!!!!!) because the response delay in the
BEST
 > case equals the duration of the calling-station's call.
 > Painful experience......

 YOU'RE WRONG!!!! See d. (even more delay (full call) is needed with
 manual keying)

 > The problem described in TEST No 2 gives the answer to the question
"Why one is
 > calling CQ on default 35 wpm but responds to those calling on 20 wpm
after some
 > delay?"  -  because he/she does not posess the NECESSARY typewriter
copying
 > and computer logging skills.
 >
 > Secondly - comuter logging contains another problem /skill to be
learned/
 >            --- > CONTROL CHARACTERS.
 >
 > The DupeSheet writing/checking skill, which is somewhat functionally
similar,
 > is absolutely useless in this case. The only solution to learn how to
use these
 > CTRL-_'s and ALT-_'s AUTOMATICALLY (!!!!!) would have been the good
SIMULATOR
 > software. At this time I am not aware of any SIMULATOR both for CT
and TR that
 > really simulates and TEACHES how to use all possibilities of these
nice
 > commercial products including, especially, both S&P and CQ modes,
multiplier
 > checks, editing fields and so on.

 Well TR does in some degree (QTC, sprints), but that's a good point.

 > Contest operation is a Battle-field and NOT a Training-ground. One
must fight
 > and be well prepared to do this long before touching the first F1.

 I think it's harder to be able to remember the call and start to
respond
 immediately after hearing the last letter than typing it.

 > Thirdly - another factor that influences the hand vs computer logging
speed
 >           ratio is the logging software itself. In other words, the
question
 >           is how close computer logging can approach the hand logging
QSO
 >           rate for someone who's able to handle any pile-up both on
SSB and CW
 >           and and was taught to do this by hand decade or so ago.
 >
 > I had no chance to try NA, so only CT and TR will be analized.
 >
 > Potentially, TR is faster and more convenient because of the less
keystrokes
 > per QSO, extensive use of the ENTER key and provisions to pick up
tail-enders.
 > Unfortunately all these advantages are "effectively killed" by the
nightmare
 > of the Alt-E command. This is, for me at least, the weakest part of
the
 > software that seriously degrades it's overall performance.

 Well, the alt-e is DEFINITELY an issue, but i fail to see why it slows
 you down (??)

 > CT, on the other hand, does the editing in an elegant way, resulting
in much
 > less possibility to miss the zone or country multiplier. But again
this advan-
 > tage is "blocked" by things like: numeric keypad keys use, necessity
 > push more different keys to log the QSO and no tail-end options.
 >
 > SSB contests.

 I can't give an opinion since I usually don't work SSB contests.

 > --------------
 > Summary.
 > --------
 > 1.It is still not clear if existing computer contest logging is
superior
 > to hand-logging based on QSO per hour criterium.
 > 2.The existing contest logging software packages have to be upgraded
 > allow using the best hand-logging tricks like: multiple tail-ending
or
 > partial calls scooping( technique to write down parts of calls heard
in
 > pile-up to work them aftrwards in a raw) etc.

 That's a good suggestion. Tree, how about adding the following feature:
 instead of the tail end key, a little window where you can type calls
or
 partials and after the QSO is finished does the same as tail end??
 (think WF1B does something like this?)

 > 3.Editing the callsign field of any logged qso must lead to immediate
 > corresponding change of all qso parameters i.e. multiplier(s) and
points
 > (CT style) and be as easy as possible.

 Amen (but Tree has closed down that issue)

 > 4.In order to switch from hand logging to computer logging, one has
 > have similar CW and voice copying speeds and "blind typing" skills
 > BEFORE the actual changeover takes place.
 >
 > I would like to continue this discussion so please respond directly
at
 > us5we@fairs.org

 I'm replying to the group, since I think this is a good thread.

 > 73,Vic
 > Vic_Goncharsky US5WE/K1WE/S21ZM/SO9WE     Local: 08:37             25
Jul 97

 73 de
 Ernesto LU6BEG