[Trlog] Icom 706MKIIG interface for TR

Subject: [Trlog] Icom 706MKIIG interface for TR
From: k6xx at ihwy.com (Bob Wolbert, K6XX)
Date: Mon Mar 3 13:02:04 2003
GM,

Maybe it's not exact, but it achieves the same purpose: no external power
needed. It does borrow some power from the PC's parallel port.

It is easy to "steal" -V (from -5 to -12V typically, depending upon whether
you are running a desktop or laptop), but the +V supply is more tenuous. You
CAN do it, if the program supports the handshaking functions. Probably don't
want to, though, if you want to use the serial port as both freq. control
and keying. I tried to do this with TR, and it worked to a certain
extent--as long as a data path was established. This is a "chicken-and-egg"
situation, however, since you have to have a +V to initially establish
communications...

Since TR supports a paddle, I used the parallel port. However, when
grounding is a problem (such as a DXpedition), the serial port is MUCH less
RFI sensitive. Consider using the parallel port as a paddle input only, and
drive the keying transistor from the serial port.

Another idea for this situation is to grab +V from the IC706's 13-pin DIN
connector.

73 de Bob, K6XX
k6xx@arrl.net
www.k6xx.com