Re: [Trlog] PTT Stays keyed when running w/TR 6.79

To: <kd4d@comcast.net>, "George Fremin III" <geoiii@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] PTT Stays keyed when running w/TR 6.79
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:36:50 +0500
Orion is pretty peculiar especially when you have to work in mixed mode
contest. I just hope that Ten-Tec will be able to rectify this problem by
changing the firmware. I now control the ptt line of the PA from TR + Y
connected Orion AMP KEY in CW, and use PTT foot switch connected to ORION's
PTT IN in SSB. The down side is that I have to use foot switch in SSB mode
even with SBDVP.
ORION hangs in TX mode several times during the contest. I think it is
ORIONS other peculiarity. It is cured by switching the ORION off and on. I
believe it is ORION's fault because it does it without any computer control
at all when internal voice keyer used. There are other issues associated
with underpowered ORIN's processor such as broken CW when you adjust  DSP
bandwidth and so on.
In my case the frequency appears on the screen of TR only when any key on
the keyboard is pressed. I think it is the price we pay for ORION's 57000
baud RS-232 speed. Again just hope that Ten-Tec will listen and change that
making it programmable down to 1200 baud.
Still the receiver is so good that I am happy to put up with all these
peculiarities.

73, Igor UA9CDC