Scout/Argo drift

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Scout/Argo drift
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 9 Dec 1996 09:55:27 -0600
My 50 Watt Scout has never drifted or jumped frequency at full power or QRP;
and I ran it a couple years at full power before ever trying QRP with it; I
run both now as the mood strikes me with NO DRIFT.

Most of the drift stories were caused by an inaccurate QST review who claimed
they "discovered" this in testing when in fact the same words were clearly
stated in the manual --if CW was sent too fast and continuously, the FLS would
not have time to act, because the microcontrol had too many jobs to do at high
speed CW, trying to run both the keyer and the PTO. The manual suggests
pausing in CW to let the FLS catch up once in awhile.

I wonder if anyone can post experience using an external keyer thru the manual
key jack, which should allow the FLS to be the primary job of the micro along
with frequency display?
73, Stuart K5KVH
rohre@arlut.utexas.edu

--