[TenTec] Re: [CW] Yaecomwoods

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [CW] Yaecomwoods
From: chestert@mail.pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:52:25 -0400
I think if you could go back and check, you would find the serial number of
your IC-781 was less than #1300. Prior to #1300 the 781's had a very poor power
supply design and when you ran full 150 watts out, the power supply pass
transistors could not dissapate the heat that was being generated in the power
supply and would subsequently shut the rig down until it cooled off.

I now own one whose s/n is in the 2300's and that problem is no longer present.
I run my 781 at speeds in excess of 60 wpm, at 140 watts output, and with full
QSK. And there is no problem!

As with any solid state radio, you can always help yourself and your radio by
adding a small outboard 12vdc fan directed on the rig's heatsink. I do that for
both my Omni 6+ and my IC-781. A semiconductors greatest enemy is HEAT!