[TenTec] "Tuning" antennas; baluns

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Tuning" antennas; baluns
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 22:14:37 -0400
On 9/23/97 4:35 PM, Chester Alderman at chestert@pressroom.com wrote:

>At 10:30 AM 9/23/97 CDT, you wrote:
>>Also, I thought a tuner would correct the L and C to obtain resonance
(within
>>reason) so you could resonate any object... screen door, gutters, long wire,
>>etc.  Ok, I probably need to read more.
>
>I think everyone can find something that can WORK FOR THEM. However, as
>Stuart explains, a tuner is not resonating the screen door, gutter, long
>wire, etc., it is transforming the 'real' and 'imiginary' impedance
>presented at the INPUT of your transmission line, to something that your
>rig will tolerate.

It if transforms the impedance to something that is 50 ohms or so, then
it WILL be resonant.

>Hopefully a resistive 50 ohms with no capacitative or
>inductive reactance. A 'tuner' will do nothing to or for the screen door,
>etc.

The problem with a tuner-fed screen door, gutter or long wire (hey a long
wire might not be bad) has nothing at all to do with whether it is
"resonant" or not. It has to do with efficiency. A screen door or gutter
probably has awful losses due to nearby objects. With a tuner, it will be
just as resonant as a properly cut dipole. No difference.

Again, people are confusing antenna resonance with antenna efficiency.
They are two very different animals.

Except that Stuart is also confused about the distinction between
resonance and efficiency.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901